Four friends went out trick-or-treating, but only three of them made it to the costume party afterwards. Goodness knows what evil has befallen the fourth friend! What is the missing friend’s name?
Happy Halloween, everyone! To celebrate, we’ve got a contest that you can enter by solving this week’s puzzle. One lucky solver (chosen at random) will receive a copy of Richard Silvestri’s “Petite Wordplay Crosswords,” which has been graciously donated by Patrick Blindauer and the good folks at Puzzlewright Press. Here’s what you need to do to enter:
EDIT: First, travel back in time because the contest is OVER. Feel free to solve this puzzle now, but you’re too late to enter the contest! Solutions are now available as usual, though. See the next post for the full recap on the contest. Again – it’s too late for you to enter!
- First, solve this week’s crossword puzzle. (To keep you honest, I’m locking the Across Lite file, so it’s not going to tell you if you’re making mistakes or give you Mr. Happy Pencil when you’ve gotten everything right. Plus, the solution grid isn’t up yet, either. Fair warning!)
- Figure out the name of the missing friend and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put the missing friend’s name in the subject line of the email. You have until 6 AM ET on Thursday, November 1, 2012 (just after you’re done celebrating Halloween!) to submit your answer – and please: only one guess at the name per person. If you’ve got the right answer, you’ll receive one entry in the random drawing to win. But wait! You can increase your chances of winning by completing either (or both) of the following tasks (provided you’ve submitted the right answer).
- For one bonus entry, promote this puzzle to your friends – either online or in real life. If you can show me proof of such promotion (a link to a tweet, e.g.), that would be great, but where unavailable, I’ll take you at your word.
- For another bonus entry, send me a picture of you in your Halloween costume! It doesn’t have to be from this year – vintage photos are more than welcome, too. (I won’t post your photo here unless you also give me permission to do so - I promise. But that would be pretty neat if we could have a little costume rundown next week!)
- Keep your fingers crossed and have a Happy Halloween!
That’s it! You can get up to three entries, and remember that all correct answers submitted before the deadline are treated equally, so you don’t have to solve quickly. If your name is selected, I’ll send you an email on Thursday asking you for some details, so keep an eye out for that. I’ll announce the winner next Friday along with this puzzle’s solution and a new puzzle. And if you’re craving more contest crosswords with an added “meta-puzzle” element, check out Erik’s puzzle this week and Matt Gaffney’s puzzle every week. Feel free to comment on the puzzle, but please don’t give too much away. Referring to entries by their locations is always a safe bet.